Spencer Liu comes with a 20－year track record in marketing, Internet product strategy, and business development. He’s worked with companies such as Sony Computer Entertainment, EA Sports, Sega, and CNET Networks before becoming a serial entrepreneur. He was a founding member of HighGear Media (acquired by Internet Brands, a network of lifestyle-focused car shopping websites) and founded his own consulting company GoSunday later working with many European startups such as Experteer, Qype, and GOOM Radio to fine tune their product strategies and optimizing user experiences.
In late 2011, Spencer positioned himself in the middle of the China mobile gaming industry and was a founding member of Yodo1 Games, a mobile games publishing platform focusing on bringing great western content into the difficult-to-figure-out China gaming market. While solving different business problems which mobile developers and publishers face everyday, Spencer was inspired to simultaneously kick off KTplay, the world’s only in-game player community and live ops platform.
- Try new things you don’t know anything about. Putting yourself outside of your comfort zone makes you work harder to be productive.
- In uncomfortable situations you have to rely on others and build teams.
- In some cultures, the big boss is the big boss. The boss never asks, just commands.
- Take the team out to lunch and establish rapport and promise them they won’t get fired for speaking up.
- People can get unmotivated because they are busy working on 10 things but don’t know the priorities.
- When discouraged, focus outside of yourself.
- Develop and continually revisit the vision statement. Are yourselves these questions:
- Who do we want to be and what do we want to do for whom?
- What was original vision for the company?
- Are these customers the right partners for the platform?
- Are we chasing after numbers instead of results?
- Are the customers using the platform the way we intented them to do?
- If we continue to duplicate this partnership, what will the product look like 6 month from now?
- Look at the situation from different perspectives.
- Press Release: Alibaba-Backed KTplay Expands West- Launches Instant In-Game Communities for Developers