After taking a Lean Facilitation class at work, Robert Mitchell realized that leading a software development team is a lot like facilitating a role-playing game like Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. As a Game Master, you want to present the players with the challenges and help them talk through the possible options to find a resolution without railroading them into the “right” answer. As a Lean Facilitator on a software development team, you want to present the team with the challenges and help them talk through the possible options to find a resolution without forcing your agenda.
As Robert Mitchell was not blessed to play soccer professionally, he has been working in the software development field for 12 years. He worked for several different sized shops, but found a great company with American Fidelity. In his time off, he chases after 15 month old twins, plays soccer and tries to find time to play RPGs.
- Role-playing games are just an excuse to get friends together
- It’s tougher to keep a group together the older you get
- Running a roleplaying game is a lot like facilitating a dev group
- Reskin a story from a different genre to fit your adventure
- Fantasy Flight Games
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
- Edge of the Empire RPG Rulebooks
- Order 66 podcast on D20 Radio
- Robert Mitchell on LinkedIn