Mike Montague is a certified trainer and the Director of Content Marketing for Sandler Training Worldwide. He is passionate about sharing the Sandler success principles and teaching the interpersonal communication skills needed to improve your life and business. He is an accomplished speaker and writer, and has designed over 200 websites. He also contributed to the popular Sandler book, LinkedIn the Sandler Way.
- People think soft skills and communication can’t be learned, but they can.
- Be strategic about how you build your personal network.
- Be careful about who you add
- Facebook is designed for “real” friends and connections.
- Twitter is great for celebrities and brands because you don’t need to follow back.
- LinkedIn is the business network, but you need to get specific on who you add.
- 250-500 people MAX.
- Think about who brings value to your network.
- Diversity is key
- Look for connections who can provide new opportunities, new information and new relationships.
- LinkedIn is a platform for developing interpersonal relationships.
- When you’re moving public/private roles you have different criteria on what social strategy to use.
- Have a litmus test before creating or accepting new invitations.
- Would they accept your phone call?
- Would you accept their phone call?
- The most powerful networks are small, tight groups with diverse people.
- Reply with a message before accepting: “Thanks for connecting, how can I help you?”
Available on People Friday and Hello Tech Pros daily podcasts
Get the Interview Questions
My Podcast Interview Guide contains the interview questions for all 3 topics:
- Career Development
- Product Development
- Business Bevelopment