Struggling to understand the engineering practices of a new system is tough. Failure to understand the business domain can lead to a critical failure. While working on trading software on Wall Street, Joshua Johnson’s lack of domain knowledge led to a personal failure.
In this episode, Joshua and I discuss the importance of domain expertise, use cases, web services and the future of Big Data.
Joshua Johnson was born in Oklahoma City, OK and has degrees from University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma Christian University. His first job was on Wall Street where worked with trading software and later moved to Europe to work for European banks. Now he is back home in Oklahoma with his wife, 2 kids and a boxer puppy.
- Domain expertise (or lack of) can make or break a project
- Use cases need to be carefully thought through and well documented
- If you aren’t building with web services or APIs, how are you future-proofing your system?
- Don’t ever give up on your ideas, do it anyway
- Joshua Johnson on LinkedIn