Even though James Wilson is an introvert and recharges when alone, this poet is more comfortable speaking to 1000’s of people on a stage than to small table of 5 individuals.
James Wilson has been working in the medical software and billing industry for 10 years and currently manages a team that handles the data and electronic claims transmissions for one of the leading prosthetics and orthotics providers in the country.
James was a past guest on Hello Tech Pros, episode 12 (We Think You’re Crap: How NOT to Communicate). In that episode, James shared an experience at a past job when his coworkers and manager provided bad feedback using horrible communication techniques. Then we talked about how to deal with a situation gone bad.
- At work you have to be “on” and turn on your awareness, which is draining.
- You need to unplug from that awareness state and just… BE.
- Introverts don’t recharge in groups, they recharge when alone or when quiet.
- Learn to have self-acceptance. Whether you are an introvert or extrovert, learn to love yourself and be okay with who you are.
- Sometimes introverts are more comfortable talking to 1000s on stage than 5 in a small room.
- If you have a positive message to give to the world, you have a responsibility to share it, regardless of your personality.
- You may have to experiment with different media: writing / blogging, podcasting, videos, public speaking.
- There are several techniques to utilize to overcome fear when speaking.
- Don’t wear shorts when performing and they won’t see you’re knees shaking. 🙂
- Memorize everything so you are more confident and you can use your hands for emphasis.
- Ground yourself with a square stance.
- Speak from your diaphragm.
- Move around.
- Channel the “vacuum experience” where time slows down and you can’t hear anything but your own heartbeat and voice.
- HTP-12 We Think You’re Crap: How NOT to Communicate — People Friday with James Wilson
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain (Listen for free on Audible)
- 16 Personalities Test
- My Ego / Civil War poem
- jamesdwil [at] gmail.com