Christina Canters is a Melbourne-born entrepreneur and founder of The C Method. Through her training workshops and coaching, she helps driven young professionals and business owners be more effective at public speaking and communication. A passionate and engaging speaker, Christina has spoken at organizations and conferences in Australia, the USA and the Philippines. Subscribe to her podcast ‘Stand Out Get Noticed’ at thecmethod.com.
- Minio Cloud Server – Built on go. Architected for scalability. Supported by rockstars.
- They dont teach you presenting in tech schools.
- People you’re presenting to dont know your tech / subject matter expertise / business.
- Speaking and confidence is a skill you can learn and apply.
- Ask yourself, “What is the worst that can happen if I speak up?”
- Clients want to work with people they can get along with.
- Being confident and speaking puts you in front of most important people in organization.
- If it scares you, you need to do it.
- Understand the goal and who you are speaking to and their prior knowledge project / idea.
- Start simply and give a high-level overview.
- Don’t dive into the details until the audience is ready for them.
- Understand and identify the 4 types of people in the room.
- The “Whats” — These are the decision makers. They just want to know what the thing is. Don’t beat around the bush or give too many details to these folks until they ask for it. High level overview and bullet points are critical.
- The “Whys” — These folks want a social or emotional connection to the issue. They want to know why they should care.
- The “Hows” — These folks are analytical and want to know all the details. They need the raw data and time to analyze.
- The “What Ifs” — These folks are the doubters and nay-sayers. They are going to ask the questions about obstacles, roadblocks, challenges and contingencies.
- When you are presenting, you need to hit all 4 of the above categories, in the order listed. What, Why, How and What If.
- Stand Out, Get Noticed Podcast
- Overcoming Shyness (An Introvert’s Perspective) with Chad Bostick
// Christina interviewed me about how introverts can grow confidence and about the got a lot of personal details out of me, including:
- How my childhood affected my personality in adulthood.
- Why I used to sit in the corner of the room and not talk to anyone at family reunions.
- How online dating changed my perspective on building relationships.
- Who helped me learn how to communicate better at work.
- Why solving people problems is now more fulfilling to me than solving technical problems.
- Listen to my story about how playing Dungeons & Dragons helped my communication skills.
Available on People Friday and Hello Tech Pros daily podcasts
Get the Interview Questions
My Podcast Interview Guide contains the interview questions for all 3 topics:
- Career Development
- Product Development
- Business Bevelopment