Aric Watson is a full-stack web developer with nearly 20 years of experience, currently working for Nexcess.net, a Michigan-based web hosting company that specializes in hosting high-traffic Magento e-commerce websites. Aric works on internal projects as well as several of Nexcess’ open-source Magento extensions. You can find him at various conferences and meetups.
- Do you remember writing code before GitHub, StackOverflow or Google?
- In the early days of web development, many companies’ websites were online brochures with static HTML.
- Magento is an e-commerce platform written in PHP and runs on the LAMP stack.
- It’s similar to WooCommerce, but for larger organizations.
- Magento has a strong community that supports the platform as well as a lively extension marketplace.
- It has a heavy footprint, opposed to WordPress & WooCommerce and requires a development team or agency to support an installation.
- There are many extensions to integrate with 3rd party systems such as Salesforce and OroCRM. The platform is very customizable.
- 1.x -> 2.0 is a huge upgrade path. You can’t just take an extension built for Magento 1.x and move it into a 2.0 installation and expect it to work.
- 2.0 supports Composer (critical for PHP) and Varnish.
- Don’t mess with the core code. Use the community and private code pools.
- Build a brand new store with 2.0 unless you have requirements for a plugin that isn’t upgraded yet.
- Nexcess provides a high level of for Magento users where you can talk to real humans.
- They have their own datacenters and are PCI compliant.
- Nexcess’ Magento servers are bare-metal installations as opposed to virtualized for speed gains.
- Don’t be quick to judge old code that you didn’t write. You don’t know the environment.
- This Oklahoma Fempreneur Runs 3 Businesses On Her Smartphone — Lauren Rutledge on Entrepreneurship
- Minio.io – Minio Cloud Server written in Go for developers and devops.
- TransourceMedia.com – Podcast and multimedia post-production.
- BookMoreNights.com – You’ve got the best vacation rental property, show it off!