- While most people are in their current job, they don’t think about brand or networking.
- When you’re working, that’s the best time to make connections and get to know people when you don’t need but but genuinely want to get to know them.
- You have to know people to find the positions that aren’t publically posted.
- Being shy is not an excuse, you are losing a lot of opportunities.
- There is no such thing as a permanent job. Every company in every industry has some level of volatility.
- Keep your LinkedIn profile updated at least yearly.
- It’s not about “collecting” people into your social network, it’s about connecting with them as people.
- At a networking event, try to make one solid new relationship.
- People want to know “how can this person help me?”
- It’s not about what people can do for you, it’s about what you can do for others.
- Your personal brand is not just your skill set or your presence on social media. It’s about building a reputation and being a subject matter expert. It’s how people perceive you.
- Good candidates are connected. They are looking at new tech, going to meetup groups and being part of the community.
- There are two kinds of job candidates.
- Active candidates are actively looking for a job. They need a new job right away and have less negotiating power. The longer you are unemployed, the less negotiating power you have.
- Passive candidates are happily employed and have a powerful personal brand. Recruiters are knocking at their door and making great offers to entice them.
- The best time to look for a job is when you have a job.
- You should be having career conversations with your manager annually during performance reviews.
- An engineer generally bumps up in job title every 2 years.
- The director-to-VP track will be longer, in the timeframe of 5-8 years.
- Proactively have the conversation with your manager if they aren’t bringing it up.
- Closed mouths dont get fed.
- Network, network, network. Connect with people and get out of your comfort zone.
- The Recruiting Snitch by Alysse Metzler
- HTP-145 Crucial Conversations and Anxiety
- Performance Reviews
Available on People Friday and Hello Tech Pros daily podcasts
Performance Assessment Cheatsheet
Enter your best email address to send you the cheatsheet that I use to perform self- and employee-assessments on the 9 critical attributes that affect our Personal, Team and Business performance.
Also, I'll keep you in the loop as I develop more content to help build your career, build your products and build your business.