After a close-call with a hippopotamus while canoeing in Africa, Tim Barnes celebrated life with African artists and artisans by commissioning a custom, hand-crafted “hippo chair”. After 25 years of consulting and leading IT organizations, Tim decided to give back to a third-world community — but more than aid — by creating awareness and business opportunities via first-world marketing channels and old-school import/export legwork.
Tim Barnes has spent the last 20+ years in the Information Technology industry, half of which as a consultant for Deloitte and Accenture and half as Director of Information Delivery at Devon Energy. Tim has lived in both the US and Canada and enjoys backpacking around the world. Today he is the Founder at MoreThanAid.
- Entrepreneurship is having a passion for something, turning it into a success where value is generated
- Only 4% of people in Malawi Africa have internet access
- If you’re thinking about the reasons why it won’t work more than why it will, you need to look for something you’re more passionate about
- Don’t let roadblocks stop you
- Look for the problem that you are passion about solving and don’t get tied to a solution
- Learn the gotchas with one-offs before trying to scale the processes