Use the controls above to listen to the episode or subscribe on iTunes | Stitcher Radio | Google Play | RSS
This is part one in a three part series, focused on the 3 personal attributes that help build trust, respect and likability in the workplace.
- Hello Tech Pros new mission is to help you Build Your Career, Build your Product and Build Your Business.
- It’s critical to assess your personal or your team’s performance at least once or twice a year.
- Determine where we are vs where we want to be and use as a catalyst for growth.
- The assessments are context sensitive. The attributes are the same for everyone, but how we measure them depends on the individual’s experience level, their role and the expectations for them.
- Technical Performance are KPIs that can be defined and measured very concretely such as # of bugs, uptime of servers, # of units sold, etc.
- Non-Technical Performance attributes are more difficult to understand, evaluate and communicate.
- “He’s a great guy with a good work ethic but has kind of low energy.”
- “She’s definitely a team player but needs to work on her communication skills.”
- “They just aren’t showing the passion we’re looking for.”
- The non-technical performance attributes have the biggest impact on your career.
- It’s not just about the quality of product you build or service you deliver, it’s about whether or not you’re trusted, how well you work in group settings and how in-touch you are with the business.
- The Personal-Centric Attributes are Integrity, Energy, Accountability.
- You have complete control and ownership of the personal-centric attributes.
- Displaying good behaviors will help us build respect, trust and likability.
- Displaying negative behaviors will erode trust and may cause you to get on a PIP (personal improvement plan) or fired.
- When we assess these attributes we look for consistent behaviors or patterns, not just one-off instances (everyone has a bad day).
- Integrity is the basis for trust.
- Without trust, you have to work 10x-100x harder just to keep up (and you career will be filled with drama).
- Integrity is not a boolean, it’s not black and white, there are different aspects.
- Expense Reports
- Estimates to Actuals
- Following through on commitments
- Keeping confidences
- Energy could mean mental, emotional or physical energy.
- When assessing personal performance, we usually assess mental and emotional energy.
- It’s about the attitude, initiative, persistence, resilience and confidence in the individual.
- We want to see a can-do attitudes (Tigger) not hum-hum-woe-is-me attitudes (Eeyore)
- Energy levels are infectious, so it’s important to squash negativity and foster confidence and motivation.
- Accountability means being responsible, showing blamelessness and taking ownership of situations.
- We need to follow through and not drop the ball.
- If we do drop the ball we need to own up to our mistakes and work to solve them.
- Communicate status early and often.
- Don’t play the blame game.
- Levant Technologies – Voted Oklahoma’s #1 website design and development company.
- Leave a comment at the bottom of this page and let me know which attribute you are working on in your career.