Bill Schmarzo is the CTO of EMC’s Big Data Consulting Practice and a frequent industry speaker, a blogger, a professor at the University of San Francisco School of Management as well as an author. Schmarzo wrote “Big Data MBA: Driving Business Strategies with Data Science” and “Big Data: Understanding How Data Powers Big Business”
- The companies who are successful with Big Data addressed the cultural or people issues.
- How do we get people engaged in the process so that we’re delivering the analytics in a way that is actionable to our stakeholders?
- Many companies tend to start with implementing Hadoop and then waiting for magic to happen. It doesn’t happen.
- Data science is really identifying the variables and metrics that MIGHT be a better predictor of performance.
- “Might” is a license to be wrong and in many companies the idea of wrong is bad.
- In the BI space, the IT departments over promised and under deliveredwhich has lead business leaders to be skeptical of Big Data initiatives.
- You have to have a tight alignment between the business and IT to ensure that we are working on the right problems.
- Pick a topic / problem that business users find is important, focus on strategic business initiatives.
- Create a link between business and data scientists.
- Create a culture of creativity across the whole organization.
- Creativity is a contagious event.
- All ideas are worthy of consideration.
- We want people to be unafraid to be creative and sharing their ideas even if they may not work.
- The best ideas come from front line.
- Most large organizations struggle with protecting their own fiefdoms which leads to data silos.
- Big Data is not about big, its about small.
- Learn as much as possible about individual person, event and situation instead of looking at the average of the data.
- Aggregated data is the devil. You need to work with raw to serve the individual.
- Big Data initiatives tend to fail because the teams are focused on too many opportunities instead of being focused and priortizing the most important business problems.
- Focus on one decision which has high value and high feasibility.
- Big Data is a team sport.
- We need everyone involved, including the business, the IT and the data scientists.
- Success breeds success. Quick wins will catch the attention of other people and build a grassroots movement.
- Big Data MBA: Driving Business Strategies with Data Science by Bill Schmarzo
- Big Data: Understanding How Data Powers Big Business by Bill Schmarzo
- HTP-165 Stephen Gatchell – Big Data Lakes – EMC
- BookMoreNights.com – You’ve got the best vacation rental property, show it off!