Aric Watson is a full-stack web developer with nearly 20 years of experience, currently working for Nexcess.net, a Michigan-based web hosting company that specializes in hosting high-traffic Magento e-commerce websites. Aric works on internal projects as well as several of Nexcess’ open-source Magento extensions. You can find him at various conferences and meetups.
- Do you remember writing code before GitHub, StackOverflow or Google?
- In the early days of web development, many companies’ websites were online brochures with static HTML.
- Magento is an e-commerce platform written in PHP and runs on the LAMP stack.
- It’s similar to WooCommerce, but for larger organizations.
- Magento has a strong community that supports the platform as well as a lively extension marketplace.
- It has a heavy footprint, opposed to WordPress & WooCommerce and requires a development team or agency to support an installation.
- There are many extensions to integrate with 3rd party systems such as Salesforce and OroCRM. The platform is very customizable.
- 1.x -> 2.0 is a huge upgrade path. You can’t just take an extension built for Magento 1.x and move it into a 2.0 installation and expect it to work.
- 2.0 supports Composer (critical for PHP) and Varnish.
- Don’t mess with the core code. Use the community and private code pools.
- Build a brand new store with 2.0 unless you have requirements for a plugin that isn’t upgraded yet.
- Nexcess provides a high level of for Magento users where you can talk to real humans.
- They have their own datacenters and are PCI compliant.
- Nexcess’ Magento servers are bare-metal installations as opposed to virtualized for speed gains.
- Don’t be quick to judge old code that you didn’t write. You don’t know the environment.
- This Oklahoma Fempreneur Runs 3 Businesses On Her Smartphone — Lauren Rutledge on Entrepreneurship
- Minio.io – Minio Cloud Server written in Go for developers and devops.
- TransourceMedia.com – Podcast and multimedia post-production.
- BookMoreNights.com – You’ve got the best vacation rental property, show it off!
Available on Technology Thursday and Hello Tech Pros daily podcasts
Get the Interview Questions
My Podcast Interview Guide contains the interview questions for all 3 topics:
- Career Development
- Product Development
- Business Bevelopment