Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) can lead to big problems with productivity on a team. Here are some issues to look out for and solutions to apply that have worked for me in my career.
- Social Anxiety disorder is a spectrum.
- It affects how you feel and think about yourself which affects how you interact with other people which affects your productivity in group settings.
- Lack of self-confidence leading to not speaking up, sharing ideas or volunteering.
- Elicits fight, flight, freeze responses which can escalate small issues into major drama.
- Self-deprecating comments leads to disrespect by team members (self-fulfilling prophesy).
- Lose focus on the technical problem because worried about the people problems.
- Don’t want to deal with the people problems so get wrapped around the technical problems. Leads to infinite loop.
- You are awesome. Believe it.
- When a fight, flight, freeze response happens, think about it objectively. Take some time before responding.
- Don’t use self-deprecating humor. Or use it less regularly. Or say “sometimes I feel like…” or “I think I am…”
- Focus on resolving the people problems and the technical problems will be a lot easier.
- Forgive yourself of your mistakes. Focus on your small wins.
Available on Productivity Tuesdays and Hello Tech Pros daily podcasts
Get the Interview Questions
My Podcast Interview Guide contains the interview questions for all 3 topics:
- Career Development
- Product Development
- Business Bevelopment